Hello Two.

Captain Chaos turned 2 a week ago.

It’s showing. “No!” and “Mine!” and “Go away!” are all staples in his vocabulary. I am finding that the key in dealing with him is allowing him to 1. think it is his idea, and 2. offer choices when I can. And patience. Lots of patience.

98% of the time he is a really sweet kid. The other 2% he acts like your average, normal 2-year-old. And it is trying. He wants to do everything for himself.

I am embracing this period though, I refuse to wish it away. I refuse to hope that he outgrows it fast. Because outgrowing the bad attitude of a 2-year-old also means losing those sweet knuckle dimples and little phrases of a baby just beginning to talk, like “carry me you!” And I’ll miss giggling at things he thinks he can do, that he can’t, like reading the back of the DVD he wants.

So I’ll take the good with the bad and hang onto this by Mary Jean Iron:

Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return.

Advertisements
Tagged

2 thoughts on “Hello Two.

  1. Jennifer says:

    I have saved that quote in a word document to scrap in some form or work on a decoration in some form.

    We really do share the same brainwaves!

Talk to me!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: