It’s about this time every year that I am nearly overcome with the urge to do some spring cleaning. I already cleaned the back porch. I had to if we were going to be able to use it. It becomes a catch-all area in the winter when it gets too cold to want to run everything out to the storage shed.
The porch got a thorough cleaning last week, including putting everything away and sweeping and washing down the walls and ceiling where the cobwebs accrue.
I use this checklist from Martha Stewart to guide my cleaning and also add in projects that are particular to our house.
This week the focus in on the living room. There’s several little projects that need to be done in here –
- Move the couch and roll up the carpet to thoroughly clean the floors.
- Pull out the TV and apply texture where we tore up the wall. I won’t paint since we’re planning to change paint colors soon.
- Clear off the mantle and console and thoroughly wipe down and dust everything.
- Clean the windows and wipe down the casings and windowsills.
- Clean blinds.
- Wipe down baseboards and door frames
- Take down pictures and clean walls behind them and frames and picture glass.
- Pare down DVDs and video games if possible.*
- Clean ceiling fan and fixtures.
Do you do any Spring Cleaning?
* I very rarely will watch a movie more than once, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Real Genius being the notable exceptions. Everything else belongs to either the kids or to Party Boy so I have to be careful about what I get rid of…