I didn’t sleep well on Thursday night.
To be completely honest, I had been so concerned about damage to the house (minimal) and truck (pretty bad) that I hadn’t even thought about my garden until one of my friends asked about it.
And then I had a flashback to the disaster in last year’s garden, when two days after planting everything we had a huge storm come through and wash all the seeds out of place, and then half of them didn’t sprout. Ugh. Only our garden this year is about 20 times bigger, fully planted over the course of two days, and I was sick over the thought of redoing all that work.
Needless to say, it was destination number one on Friday morning.
Thankfully the rows were all still intact, which meant that the seed should still be in place in the marked hills.
Not so great – the tomato plants were gone. Like they had never been planted. The onions were chopped off about 4 inches from the ground, their beautiful green tops massacred. And the potatoes plants were just stems. No leaves.
It made me sad.
I had to put that aside though, because we still had a ton of fencing to install, and now repair, also. Several rails had holes from the hail. Initially it was just defeating to think that we were going to have to cut out those rails and replace them, but we did find a tutorial on repair for vinyl fencing. So that cheered us up a bit.
The downside of the buckets of rain was that the ground was now a soupy mess, so instead of wearing down the auger bits we had to fight to keep the auger from getting stuck in the ground. Talk about trading one problem for another!
The good news was that once Party Boy learned how to finesse the auger in the mud we made much faster progress, finishing the back fence and about 2/3 of the west side fence.
No pictures today…